2. Sedimentation activity test.
· It provides a rapid evaluation of microfloral activity.
· Must be conducted just after sample collection.
Put a sample of rumen fluid in a test tube and let to stand.
Measure the time needed for completion of sedimentation of fine particles and floatation of coarse solid particles
§ Normal time is 4 - 8 minutes.
§ Abnormal time
· Very rapid sedimentation with no floatation occurs in :-
o Rumen acidosis.
o Prolonged anorexia.
o Inactive microflora from indigestible roughages.
· No appreciable sedimentation or floatation :-
o Frothy bloat.
o Some cases of vagal indigestion.
Click here to see picture